Thursday, January 15, 2009

Respect Your Business and Have a Plan

Let me start with a quote from Dr. Myles Munroe:

“Do not seek greatness, but seek to serve others with your gift to the maximum extent that you can, and you will become a sought-after person. In essence, Jesus defined true leadership as becoming a person who is valuable to others rather than a person of just position or fame.”


Authors have a talent, a gift God has bestowed upon them. Many chose to share this gift while others are still pondering the idea of putting pen to paper. No matter who you are or when you decide to do it TREAT YOUR BOOK LIKE A BUSINESS. Your books are going to make you revenue when people purchase them. Your book is a product and you should promote like one.

Many non-authors say, “If you are writing for the love of it, why have a business plan?” To sum it up, if we were only writing for the pleasure of it, our notes, short stories and poems would still be tucked away under our mattress for our eyes only. It takes a lot of work to get a book published; did I say it takes a lot of work to get a book published? So why would it not be for the money or at least some money.

I started my Simon Says Series because I want to make an impact on society. I wanted to reach children, parents, and teachers by sending a positive, creative message. I also wanted to make some money. Money was and is still not my motivation but it is part of the equation. I created a business plan, a working business plan; the same plan I keep next to my computer and follow. I make changes to it regularly by taking out what does not work and adding what does. I keep up with all the free promotional sites and online tours anything to make my book a success in progress.

Your book is your business and you must have a plan. Business plans are no longer the 100-page documents they use to be; they can be as simple as five pages as long as it fits your book needs and addresses all of your book needs. I have a few business plan samples that I cut and pasted from to create my business plan for my Simons Says Series, in fact, when I finish the entry I have to update it to add blogging.

Remember, treat your book like a business, and respect your business by having a plan. If you would like a copy of the sample business plans, I have just log onto my website Simon Says Books and send me an email. Happy writing and God Bless.



1 comment:

Cello said...

(i am going to send this msg to you because I am not sure if you got my e-mail)

Teresa!

I just wanted to let you know I got your book in the mail yesterday! It is a fantastic piece of literature. I have a vacation coming up next week and i can't wait to sit down and read it from cover to cover. You are such an awesome person, you didn't have to refund my money back. I have a friend of mine that wants to order your book so she gave me money to buy it and I told her I would order it. Just to let you know I ordered another book from you but it isn't for me, so you can keep the money this time :) A personally signed book from you is more than enough for me. Keep me informed as the weeks go by on how the book is doing. I have no doubt it will be a home run out of the park. Have a fantastic week!

Marcello

Purchase Simon Says Share

Get your book now at:

Get your eBook version

Support independent publishing: buy this e-book on Lulu.